Hearty and warming, our vegetarian twist on the classic Moussaka is perfect for chilly winter weather. This delicious dish is Gluten free and and packed with good nutrients from lentils, eggplant, mushrooms and other tasty ingredients. Made using our So Good Almond Unsweetened milk this dish is sure to be a favourite
- 2 large eggplants, sliced into 1 cm thick rounds
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 200g mushrooms, diced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (no added salt)
- 1 x 400 g tin crushed or chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400 g tin brown lentils, drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup So Good™ Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 200g reduced fat ricotta cheese
- 50g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a large oven tray with baking paper. Combine So Good almond milk, ricotta and feta cheese in a small bowl, mashing with a fork until smooth, and set aside.
- Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on the prepared tray, brush slices on both sides with 2 tbsp of the oil. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and tender, flipping slices after 10 minutes.
- While the eggplant roasts, drizzle remaining oil (1 tbsp) into a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes until starting to soften. Add mushrooms and sauté a further 4-5 minutes. Stir through tomato paste.
- Add lentils, tinned tomato, water, and oregano and stir well. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon half of the lentil mixture into the base of a large baking dish. Layer half of the roasted eggplant on top. Repeat with remaining sauce and eggplant. Spoon ricotta mixture over final eggplant layer and smooth surface. Sprinkle with pine nuts.
- Bake for 20 minutes until topping is golden and filling is bubbling. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before serving.
- Store leftovers in the fridge and re-heat for a quick lunch.
- Ricotta topping can be replaced with a traditional béchamel white-sauce, if preferred.
- If your ricotta is dry, or if the topping mixture seems too thick, stir through an extra tablespoon or two of milk. Topping can also be blended smooth.
Saturated Fat (g)
Dietary Fibre (g)