- 2 tablespoons ground linseeds
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup lite soy milk
- 1/2 cup tropical juice, no added sugar
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup wheatgerm
- 1/4 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 400 g (14 oz) dried fruit medley, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Place ground linseeds into a small bowl with 6 tablespoons of water, stir well and set aside for 10 minutes. The mixture will thicken and form a “linseed egg.”
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C (350°F). Line a rectangular tin (25 x 16 x 3 cm/10 x 6 x 1½ in) with parchment (baking) paper.
- In a large bowl, using a metal spoon, dissolve honey in milk and juice, then stir in the linseed egg.
- Fold in coconut, wheatgerm, flour, fruit medley and cranberries, until well combined.
- Press mixture firmly into prepared tin.
- Bake for 35–40 minutes until golden brown. Allow slice to cool in tin.
- Remove slice from tin and place onto a chopping board, then peel off parchment paper. With a serrated-edged knife, cut into small squares. Squares can be frozen.
- Variation: Swap cranberries with dried currants (or sultanas).
Dietary Fibre (g)4